Suffer over production of mucous in throat. Difficulty in breathing after waking up. Nose feels dry. What to do?

Hi doctor! I am having a problem with over production of mucous in my throat. I wake up at night and can't breathe. battling to swallow this mucous build up. This is causing me much anxiety as my nose is dry but I have this constant mucous drip at the back of my throat. I have been taking antihistamines and flixonase for six years. It's not helping at the moment. I have been through a stressful time these last six years and an iridologist that I saw said I need to cut out dairy and that my thyroid is enlarged. Do you think these factors may contribute to my problem? I am scared that I am going to choke to death on this mucous!

Posted Mon, 26 Aug 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 1 hour later
hi thanks for using XXXXXXX

After going through your history, I want some more information to correctly diagnose your problem.
1. do you feel uneazines while working/ exercises.
2. what is the color of sputum and how it looks like.
3. Do you have X- XXXXXXX chest and spirometry and any time got evaluated for cardiac problem like echo.

these information (reports) help us to diagnose your problem.
Since you don't have any secretion in nose the sputum is most likely produced from your lower respiratory tract. it may be due to respiratory cause or due to cardiac.

mean time you can take tab montelukast (singulair) to prevent inflammation and also take budesonide inhaler for 15 days. this will help you if you are suffering from any allergic problem including asthma.

get done echo cardiography once to rule out any cardiac cause along with spirometry and chest X-ray pa view if not taken earlier and get back with the report.

Hope I answered your query and you may improve with the above drugs. wish you good health.

Follow-up: Suffer over production of mucous in throat. Difficulty in breathing after waking up. Nose feels dry. What to do? 16 hours later
Hi doctor! I am fine when doing exercise although my nose runs quite a lot when doing cardio! The colour of my sputum is cloudy white and comes out in globules. I have to actually vomit it out to get it out cause coughing it out doesn't help as it won't come out. I will get a chest X-ray and spirometers and a echo cardiography. Thank you so much for your help. I will have to see my doctor about the X-ray etc as we work on a national health system here in New Zealand. Many thanks for your diagnosis! I am very much appreciative of you having listened to me!
Answered by Dr. Vidya KR 5 hours later
Hi, I am happy that you are satisfied with my answer. Do follow up with your doctor to diagnose and then management. You can get back to me any time for any health related help.

Do breathing exercises every day. Yoga and pranayama will help you. You can take montelukast daily once in evening. This may help you.

Kindly close the query if satisfied and rate my answer. Wish you good health.