Suddenly started coughing and wheezing. Giving benadryl and albuterol nebulizer. What do you think?

Jan 2013

My daughter (who doesn't usually wheeze) is coughing a bunch and wheezing. I gave her some benadryl thinking it was an allergy and was looking to see if an albuterol nebulizer I had (out of date, but functional) might help. I was checking for interactions between benadryl and albuterol and simply found that I shouldn't have given her benadryl for wheezing. I think she simply has coughed herself into wheezing and that sleep will help it go away. What do you think?
Posted Fri, 5 Oct 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 2 hours later
Coughing may be dry in nature or due to bronco-constriction.
Dry cough means acquiring common cold infection or due stimulation of peripheral/ central cough receptors.
Presence of wheeze with history of allergy indicates bronco-constriction and she has to take bronco-dilators for relief of symptoms.
Taking benadryl is beneficial in dry cough and in asthmatic cases, but albuterol/ salbutamol/ deriphylline and anti-allergics are required.
If she is getting allergic asthma at age of 8 years then there is high chances of recovery and she may recover and may not get any asthmatic attack during adult age.
You should also give deworming treatment such as albendazole to your daughter.
Worm infestation are very common in children and may precipitate wheeze.
You should also consult with pediatric physician and should get treatment on written prescription.
Put your views also.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Suddenly started coughing and wheezing. Giving benadryl and albuterol nebulizer. What do you think? 6 hours later
Thanks for your help. The benadryl helped her sleep and, while sleeping, she did not seem to have significant wheezing. I'll keep an eye on her today and maybe take her to the Dr. tomorrow. I've got the nebulizer ready, though, if needed.
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 40 minutes later
Take care,
Her condition will improve after treatment and this is a major issue.
Wishing a speedy recovery,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava