How to prevent frequent cough and cold in children?

My Son has frequent cold and cough. He tends to cough a lot when he exerts himself ie., after running, laughing. I give him a tablet as prescribed by the pediatrician (have forgotten the name). But, I want to know if this is some kind of allergy that he has? Every doctor that I talk to tell me: 1. Because I have had a cesarean, it is common. 2. Because of the pollution, it is common. 3. Kids of this generation are prone to such allergies (but why? how?). Can you advice a better solution so that it can be avoided?
Posted Wed, 8 Jan 2014 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: relax Detailed Answer: Hi. Thanks for your query. I understand your concern. Yes it is common for young child to have repeated respiratory infections upto 6 or 7 in a year. Reason being. -child is exposed to various kind of environmental conditions,viral and bacterial infections,pollutants. -playing with other kids,from day care they catch infections . -low immunity at young age. I suggest you to : -give nutritious diet rich in vitamins and minerals. -give plenty of fluids. -avoid all kind of junk food items. -repeated hand washing is to be practised. Continue with medication as prescribed by your doctor. Hope I have answered your query,let me know if you have any further question . Wishing your child good health. God bless...
Follow-up: How to prevent frequent cough and cold in children? 5 minutes later
Thank you very much for your quick reply! Should I be worried or seek medication if there is something like slight wheezing when he coughs, or is this normal because of his cough?
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: hi Detailed Answer: Thanks for your follow up. At time of wheeze medication is required. Frequent wheezing is due to hyperresponsive airway diaease and bronchodilator medication is required at that time. But yes common cold and child is active with no fever then you can wait. I also suggest you to use XXXXXXX leaves ,3 to 5leaves boli them in water and give it to him as it helps in building immunity. Let me know if there is any further question. Take care....
Follow-up: How to prevent frequent cough and cold in children? 17 hours later
Thanks for the suggestion. Will try to follow it regularly and see if it helps in reducing the cough. As you mentioned, he is totally active, hence I will not panic!
Answered by Dr. Synthyia Bhagat 23 minutes later
Brief Answer: thanks. Detailed Answer: Wishing you and your family good health. In future if you need any advice I will be glad to help you. Take care...