How can frequency of wheezing episodes be decreased?

the frequency of my wheezing episodes used to be once a quarter 2yrs back which has off late changed to almost every month. i have allergic rhinitis (as per the pulmonologist i consulted). i am on inhaler almost on all days. pls advise if the frequency of my wheezing can be reduced.
Posted Fri, 3 Jan 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra 26 hours later
Brief Answer: Your treatment needs to be stepped up. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for posting the query on XXXXXXX After going through your query, I would like to comment the following: 1. You seem to be suffering from allergic rhinitis with bronchial asthma. 2. From your medications history, it seems that you are on your current medications since the last 14 days only. 3. If currently you have frequent wheezing episodes, then your treatment needs to be stepped up. I suppose your pulmonary function test, spirometry and serum IgE levels must have been done as a part of your initial workup. Your recent pft report would be of much help. 4. Step up treatment in a patient like you could be as follows: a. Foracort inhaler (400) 2 puff bid x 3 months (as per pft severity) & as and when required. b. Tb Montek LC 1 tb at night x 3 months c. Azeflo nasal spray 1 spray morning and at night x 1month followed by once daily x 2 months d. Tb. ABFLO 100 mg twice daily x 3 months if wheezing episodes are there. e. Most importantly you need to get these medications titrated in supervision of a pulmonologist and be under regular follow up , preferably every 3 monthly. 5. If the above instructions are complied with in supervision of a Pulmonologist, then you will be symptomatically improved. However taking the maintenance medications regularly after symptomatic improvement is the key to remaining symptom free! I hope I have answered your query. I will be glad to answer follow up queries if any. Please accept my answer if you have no follow up queries. Regards Dr. Gyanshankar Mishra MBBS MD DNB Consultant Pulmonologist