Suffering from cold and coughing hard. What could be the reason for congestion and wheezing?

Jan 2013

I had a cold about 6 to 8 weeks ago but the cough won't go away. It's mostly in the morning and sometimes I cough so hard I gag. It feels like I'm trying to cough up something... like I'm congested. Also some minor wheezing afterward.
Posted Sat, 16 Nov 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 48 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hi, Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Are you a chronic smoker?

With the available described details, there appears to be high possibility of secondary bacterial infection after upper respiratory tract infection. There could also be possibility of involvement of lower respiratory tract also.

Presence of persistent phlegm after cold with wheeze suggest the diagnosis.

At times, infectious focus in tonsils (which are actually bodyguard for prevention of infection) and para nasal sinus may cause infection to persist for a longer period.

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist / ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.

Clinical examination is mandatory to rule out the presence of associated bronchitis.

You should also go for complete hemogram, erythrocyte sedimentation rate, chest x XXXXXXX x XXXXXXX PNS (para nasal sinus).

You should also go for throat swab culture & sensitivity under guidance of microbiologist.

If I'm your treating physician then I would like to advise you broad spectrum antibiotics, decongestants, mucolytics.

Need of bronchodilator can be decided after clinical examination.

Avoid cold drinks and oily food.

Perform gargle 2-3 times in a day; add a pinch of salt in a glass of lukewarm water.

Take care,
Let me know your other query.
Wishing a speedy recovery.
Dr. Mayank Bhargava