Stress, anxiety, frustration. How can this be solved?

Hi :) im 30 years old and practically a single mum to my 2 year old daughter, i am starting to suffer a huge amount of stress and anziety as she is becoming a real handful, i have not much support from family as they live far away, i find myself getting frustrated too often and overwelmed, i am wondering if there is anything i can get to curb these feelings, to help me get on with my day happier and much less frustrated?? Thanx in advance :)
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

First you need to understand that baby is not the reason for all of your symptom. Although some time care of baby may be demanding and stressful. This stress may precipitate anxiety in certain cases.

Reply me if you have some of these symptoms with duration to help you better: nervousness, restlessness, mild irritability, excessive worry regarding own and child wellbeing/health, tremor, muscle spasm, heaviness in body, easy fatigability, headache, palpitation, sleep difficulty and dry mouth.

Waiting for your reply,
Follow-up: Stress, anxiety, frustration. How can this be solved? 10 minutes later
hi i do experience some of those things when i am suffering anxiety attack, there are alot of other factors to my problem, i tracked down my birth family and found my mother had passed, disagreements with family over the issue aswell, constant fighting with babys father..... i get overwelmed and in bad case sweat and hyperventilate cry and dry mouth, was diagnosed with slightly over active tyroid... i do worry alot have alot of stress, experiencing bad behaviour with 2 year old she is i feel being exposed to bad treatment by other kids....
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 20 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up,

From your description it appear that you are having anxiety disorder. Thyroid dysfunction known to precipitate and exacerbate anxiety disorders.

Concurrently with thyroid treatment you may need treatment with psychiatrist to treat your anxiety. It is not clear if you received any treatment in past, but believe me people life changes after treatment.

In drug treatment two types of medicine used. For immediate relief of anxiety benzodiazepines group of medicines are used and for long term relief most commonly SSRI (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors are used. SSRI takes around 3-4 weeks to show its effect and cognitive behaviour therapy also takes weeks to show its effect.

As you are having multiple symptoms then combined treatment in form cognitive behavior therapy and drug therapy will be best in your case.

Apart from above advice following simple measures will help you:
-Decrease worrying about symptoms as they will cure after treatment.
-Healthy diet: Milk and fruits in diet.
-Daily morning walk and breathing exercise.
-Spending time in activities which you like.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Stress, anxiety, frustration. How can this be solved? 24 minutes later
Thanx for that, now i know its related to my thyroid. I was prescibed some pills when i was pregnant they were red and was told they took a while to kick in and caused problems in that time, i decided to stop taking them.... so u know of a herbal natural treatment i can take without side effects or addiction??
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 18 minutes later
Hello again,
Thanks for follow up

For anxiety disorder, most researched treatment is in allopathy. Remember the drug which have effect has side effects too. But drugs come in market when effect is much greater than side effects.

For non pharmacological treatment you can opt for cognitive behavior therapy, as it proven effective by research. For thyroid get your hormonal level done again.

Wish you good health.