Should I see a doctor if I have a painful injury for five weeks?

I'm 54, 5-2 about 125 pounds have limited systemic scleroderma but my problem is my left buttocks. I fell on the pointed end of a metal lawn chair about 5 weeks ago and it's still very painful to the touch. Do I need to see a doctor?
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 17 minutes later

Since the injury you incurred on your left buttock is five weeks old and it is still painful, we need to rule out a few possibilities-

1. Fracture- if there is any difficulty in walking and the pain is felt specifically when you bear the body weight on your leg while standing then you need to have an X-ray to rule out any bony injury.

2. Hematoma- Presence of swelling in the local area with or without superficial skin discoloration. Hot fomentation willl bring some relief.

3. Abscess- Usually associated with fever, pain and local tenderness. A thorough examination and antibiotics are needed. Surgical drainage may be required.

4. Soft tissue injury- Usually needs adequate rest and hot fomentation to heal. It sometimes takes 6-8 weeks to come back to normal.You can tablets like tylenol twice a day for this.

Please visit your physician or an orthopaedician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case.

Meanwhile taking mild pain killers like acetaminophen will help you.

I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.