Should I go for cord blood banking since no history of blood or tissue related diseases? Any accreditation to look for?

This is to an OBGYN

My wife is 32 weeks pregnant, and we are contemplating cord blood banking. Need an independent opinion on this. Neither mine nor my wife's family has a history of bood related / tissue related diseases like parkinsons, luekemia, etc. Does it make sense to go for cord blood bnking if it targets primarily these ailments?

Some questions that are still not well asnwered by companies
- what % of success rate does a sibling have of HLA match?
- what % of success rate does a parent have of HLA match?
- Is there any specific accredition (AABB, FDA, etc) that one needs to be concerned about that the cord bank should have?

Thankful if you could assist with the above.
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 20 hours later
Hello and thank you for sending your question.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with some information and recommendations.

The decision to store cord blood is entirely yours. You are correct that cord blood currently is used to treat hematological disorders requiring stem cell transplantation. Right now there are no recommendations which we are able to provide in order to help you make the decision other than your own personal Preference. These hematological disorders are relatively rare but again I understand your concern and wanting to have these cells stored should this type of issue be encountered later in life.

Cord blood Banking is a very highly regulated type of process. The FDA has a very comprehensive process of monitoring any facility which processes or stores cord blood.

Here is a useful link to the FDA website which might give you some more useful information:

Regarding HLA matching of siblings it is a chance of 25%. Parents are generally not matches of their children as The genetic makeup of the child is only one half from each parent.

If you're looking at a cord blood bank you should request their credentials As well as documentation of their most recent inspection.

If you look at the website which I provided there are also links to cord blood Bank storage facilities which are recognized by the FDA.

Thanks again for sending a question. Please let me know if you have any additional concerns that you would like to review.

Dr Galamaga