What does "heterogeneous appearance of the bone marrow,probably reflects normal variation or red marrow" mean?

Oncologist
Question
what does heterogeneous appearance of the bone marrow , probably reflects normal variation or red marrow hyperlasia mean on a mri and it says marrow signal is somewhat heterogeneous correction with hematoligc studies advises for confirmation what does that mean and what studies and who d you go to?
Posted Thu, 16 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Brief Answer: Considerations Detailed Answer: MRI findings of bone marrow are somewhat non-specific. There is no way to conclude whether the bone marrow is normal or not from the imaging without an actual piece of the bone marrow obtained and sent for analysis. I would recommend you see a local hematologist to review the images, your current blood test results and discuss the possibility of performing a bone marrow biopsy if there is any question of an abnormality. Thanks again for the question - let me know if I can be of further assistance regarding this. Dr G

Follow-up: What does "heterogeneous appearance of the bone marrow,probably reflects normal variation or red marrow" mean? 1 hour later
hi dr what exactly is bone marrow is it in the exact bone like osteproisis or cancer what is the proper blood work to give? how do they take bone marrow from us

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 29 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: this is the factory of your blood cells. Bone marrow is located inside large bones of your body such as your hip. There is liquid bone marrow and solid bone marrow that can be used for analysis. Your doctors will look at your blood count and if a bone marrow biopsy is needed a special procedure can be done to send tissue for analysis to look at how well your factory is producing blood cells. Dr G

Follow-up: What does "heterogeneous appearance of the bone marrow,probably reflects normal variation or red marrow" mean? 10 hours later
what blood count should i see on my blood work? when you mean how well it producing? what are the symptoms or what do they do- if it is bad is it cancer/multple ,myaloma- what are they looking for?is ii a rematologist or oncologist or i go to the hip doctor? what are they loping for on the tissue- could i have symptoms now

Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 22 hours later
Brief Answer: Followup Detailed Answer: thank you for the additional question. I would consider discussing this with a hematologist. This is a doctor who is specialized in examination of blood and blood problems. symptoms can be very very different from person-to-person. Sometimes people might not have any symptoms. Most of the time however, symptoms such as weakness or bleeding can be seen. regarding blood count I am referring to red blood cells, white blood cells, antiplatelets. These are the main circulating blood cells in your body. thank you again for sharing your health care concern. Dr. G