What is the cause for elevated white blood cell count and low platelet count?

Elevated white blood cell count of 26, low plateles, high levels of all inflammatory markers, enlarged spleen and glands. Red blood cell count is normal. Tested for a various infections and rheumatic factor all negative. Tested for various auto immune diseases all negative. No sign of inflammation. 15% weight loss in the past six months and fatigue. Awaiting a CT scan. What could it be?
Posted Sun, 19 Jan 2014 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 3 hours later
Brief Answer: follow-up Detailed Answer: Hello and thank you for sending the question. This is a very good question and I will help provide you with some information and recommendations regarding what is going on. With elevation of the white blood cell count and low platelets it is possible that there is some type of bone marrow disorder contributing to these findings. Inflammatory markers are somewhat nonspecific meaning they do not directly point to an exact cause in some cases. Weight loss is concerning at the same time. I think it is extremely important that you request a formal consultation with your local hematologist. The hematologist can look at your blood cells along with a pathologist under the microscope to help determine if there is any suspicion for problem with the bone marrow. If such a suspicion exists, a bone marrow biopsy may be requested for further information. At this point it seems very preliminary and I do not want to speculate without having more information. If you have the ability to scan your blood cell results or complete blood count results and share them with us this might help our discussion. Thank you again for sending her question. Dr. G