What are the long term effects of steroid treatment to increase my height?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Question
Hi. When I was younger I had steroid treatment to increase my height, as steroid is known to increase growth hormones in adolescent boys. Now I have anxiety this treatment had effect on my bone, and the effects are permanent. Do bones renew and make new cells every ten years ? If this is true for ALL BONE this would make me happy. But then I read online that some bone cells live for 25 years..... Kindly advise.
Posted Tue, 21 Jan 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 5 days later
Brief Answer: Remenant effects on bone cells is not likely. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. The bone cells are of different types. Some of these are actively growing and dividing cells and others are permanent. The usage of steroids can cause a mild growth retardation and changes in the cells when steroids are used for long term regularly. All these changes are reversible after the steroids are stopped. The bone cells keep on renewing fro time to time and it is a constant ongoing process. Since you took the injection during the childhood any effect on the cells now is not likely. Please do not worry. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal. For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal

Follow-up: What are the long term effects of steroid treatment to increase my height? 8 hours later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX Tayal. I have another doubt concerning this steroid treatment on my gnrh secretion. Generally its known that steroids have a inhibiting effect on gnrh secretion. Yet i remember the doctor at the time saying 'maybe the treatment will kickstart your hormones' I think she was suggesting kickstarting the growth hormones, as androgens are know to boost this. But sometimes i get anxious and think it kickstarted my gnrh pulse secretion. What would be your opinion ? Wishing you all the best. Thanks and Regards

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
Brief Answer: She was referring to GH Detailed Answer: Hello. Thanks for writing again. Steroids can increase the synthesis and secretion of GnRH if given in a pulsatile manner. The steroids that are given to increase the height do increase the secretion of growth hormone to some extent but the effect is short lived. Hope my answer is helpful. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health. Regards

Thank you Dr XXXXXXX For clarification only, from your above opinion, it sounds like steroids increase both gnrh secretion AND growth hormone secretion....? I thought androgenic anabolic steroids DECREASE secretion of Gnrh through negative feedback...but you suggest opposite? Hope you can clarify. wishing you all the best Regards XXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 16 hours later
Brief Answer: GnRH release is affected by many factors. Detailed Answer: Hello. Anabolic steroids increase the synthesis of GnRH and inhibit the secretion to some extent only. The response depends on the doses and the internal homeostasis of a person and slight variations can be seen from person to person. The release of these hormones depends on multiple factors and cannot be attributed to a single medicine. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the long term effects of steroid treatment to increase my height? 35 hours later
Hello, How can it increase the synthesis and inhibit at the same time? I dont understand. Could you clarify further if possible? Best Regards, XXXX

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 11 hours later
Brief Answer: Detailed below. Detailed Answer: Hello. Anabolic steroids decrease the release of GnRH and thus to have a better effect anabolic steroids are given along with GnRH analogues to increase the height. The decreased release of GnRH has a positive feed back effect on its synthesis in the body thus increasing the natural synthesis to only a mild extent. The synthesis of these hormones is controlled by the blood levels of these hormones. A decrease in blood levels will increase the synthesis to achieve homeostasis. Hope this clarifies your doubt. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the long term effects of steroid treatment to increase my height? 5 hours later
Now i follow. Thank you Dr XXXXXXX I've been told by another doctor from Justanswer.com, that in beginning of male puberty, exogonous steroid treatment can actually have a positive feedback on Gnrh secretion! He has created doubt in my mind. Quote 'synthetic steroid may somehow augment genetic facilitatory mechanisms, acting on hypothalamus.' Kindly could you advise. Thanks and Best Regards

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later
Brief Answer: As explained. Detailed Answer: Hello. He is referring to the increase in synthesis on long term suppression of the GnRH release. Steroids do directly inhibit the release but may increase the synthesis by a positive feedback effect on the synthesis by acting on hypothalamus. The effect is usually a minor one and does not significantly affect the height. Regards.

Follow-up: What are the long term effects of steroid treatment to increase my height? 4 days later
Thank you Dr XXXXXXX for your insight. It's been very helpful to understand my past treatment. I have one last query. I understand cells undergo constant division and proliferation. Does this apply to stem cells also? Hope you can advise. Best Regards

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 12 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes. Detailed Answer: Hi, Stem cells do keep on proliferating and differentiating to form new cells. Regards.