Severe nausea and vomiting. Have Addison's disease, on feeding tube for Gastroparesis. What is the dosage for intramuscular levomepromazine?

what is the correct doze of levomepromazine administered intramuscularly. I suffer long term severe nausea and vomiting. I have addisons disease which can be become unstable if my vomiting and nausea is not controlled by this anti-emetic. Also- I am subcutaneous pump administering 20mg hydrocortizone over 24 hours. Also through longterm vomiting and nausea before diagnosis of addisons disease, i have severe gastroparesis and have got a feeding tube for nutrition and do not absorb medicines at all or very well hence need for im injections at home.
Posted Fri, 6 Jul 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Anil Grover 1 hour later

Thank you for writing in.
I am a medical specialist with a degree in sub specialty of cardiology.
I read your mail with diligence and shall try to help:

Levomepromazine Anti-emetic dose: Severe Nausea and Vomiting 12.5-25 mg 6-8 hrly. (Severe agitation: Up to 50 mg IM maximum) as bio availability of i/m drug is more hence this is the dose recommended. It is prescription drug and only doctor can prescribe and preferably Visiting Nurse Attendants should be administrating it.

I hope the information is useful. If you have any further question please do write, I wiill be happy to answer.

Best Wishes.

Dr Anil Grover
MBBS, MD (Internal Medicine) DM (Cardiologist)