Safe to take Percocet with atrial fibrillation?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Is it safe for someone with atrial fibrillation to take Percocet? I am on warfarin, so cannot take NSAIDS or aspirin. Sometimes for joint pain, I take Tylenol, but at times the pain can be so "everywhere" and troublesome, I have thought of taking Percocet, which I have from a prescription. However, that prescription was refilled prior to the diagnosis of AF, and I want to make sure it is safe to take with AF. I have googled and noticed it should not be taken by people with breathing problems. I have been seen by a pulmonary specialist with thumbs up, but I do have shortness of breath because of the AF.
Posted Fri, 4 Oct 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Better to avoid it

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us,
I have studied your case with diligence.

Percocet contains acetaminophen and oxycodone. This combination is known to cause side effects on cardio vascular systems like Hypotension, hypertension, tachycardia, orthostatic hypotension, bradycardia,palpitations and dysrhythmias. All these side effects can be detrimental to your heart especially when it is as risk to fibrillate.

Therefore I advice against the use of perocet. You may take plain acetaminophen or paracetamol plain. If the joint ache is severe and troubling, you can take help of physiotherapy which has no side effects too. Consult physiotherapist for protocol.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Safe to take Percocet with atrial fibrillation? 7 hours later
Just wanted to thank you for your answer--extremely helpful. I will stay away from that Percocet, and just use Tylenol (acetaminophen in the states).
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer: