Rheumatoid arthritis, osteoporosis, prosthetic kness. Taking lisinopril, felodipine, hydrochlorothiazide. CAn it be cured?

Good morning, I love my Mother to death. I har son and caregiver thru the State. SHe has rheumatoid arthitis, osteoporosis (mild), two prosthetic knees, and she takes lisinopril, foledipine, atenelol, hydrochlorothiazide (HZT) - they are all low dosages, but it doesn't matter...she is taking them. She is 80 years old, but I wish to wean her off of them altogether...I am willing to do whatever it takes to do this. My Mother was a very fast and active woman which knew about her from the type of work she did....she was very energetic...after her first knee surgery in 1990 everything changed.....I literally know of seniors in their 90's that swim, jog, play racquetball/ please tell me there is hope.

Thank you and God Bless
Posted Sat, 30 Jun 2012 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Chandana Krishna 2 hours later

Thank you for writing in,

I appreciate your love for your mother.

Knee replacement surgery and diseases like rheumatoid arthritis can cause serious limitations in the normal activities. It is nice to know your mother is very active despite these medical concerns.

The drugs prescribed to her are very much needed for her to treat hypertension and rheumatoid arthritis and prevent heart disease. It is not recommended to stop the medications without the opinion of your treating doctor.

Diseases like Hypertension can only be controlled and not cured. What is her current blood pressure?

Hypertensive drugs are probably needed for life long. The drugs can be tapered in association with constant and periodic monitoring of her vital parameters like heart rate, blood pressure and ECG.

Hence I encourage you to continue to medications as of now. Discuss with your treating physician about your intentions. He / she can perform the aforementioned test and monitor blood pressures while tapering down the drugs. Our aim should be to make her carry out day today activities without depending on anyone and to live a productive life with minimum disability.

I know you love your mother and you want to do the best for her. Just do it in proper way after talking to her physician and knowing what should be done.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have anything else to know, I'll be happy to help you.

Wishing you and your mother good health and happiness