RT-PCR test for Dengue, fever, urine test negative

My 2 yr 9mos. grandson. visiting in Phillipines has experienced fever for 2 days. A preliminary eval says "urine test" for dengue was neg. Is there such a test and if so what is reliability. His fever has broken after 24 hrs. I understand shock like symptoms are a possibility. His father is US Navy officer in Afghanistan the child is visiting his mothers family in Phillipines with limited medical resourses.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 22 minutes later

For diagnosis of Dengue, urine and saliva samples can be used in cases where blood samples are difficult to obtain, such as in newborns or in patients with hemorrhagic syndromes. One can detect dengue virus in both urine and saliva samples by real time RT-PCR (Reverse Transcriptase-Polymerase Chain Reaction), but the confirmatory diagnosis is by dengue antibody serology test (blood tests).

Your grandson’s doctor might have taken the urine sample also to detect any microscopic hematuria.

However it will be better to get dengue antibody serology test done to rule out dengue completely.

Also look out for the symptoms of dengue. The principal symptoms of dengue are high fever, severe headache, backache, joint pains, nausea, vomiting, eye pain, and rash. Generally, younger children have a milder illness than older children and adults.

Hope this answers your query.

I will be available for follow up queries if any.