Prescribed with azithral for severe throat infection. how to get rid of throat pain?

ENT Specialist
Hi Doctor. I am from India. I am suffering from very severe throat infection. My throat is paining a lot while swallowing. My doctor has prescribed Azithral 500 once a day x 5 days. He has prescribed a pain killer too. After taking Azithral 500 and the pain killer in the morning, I had started feeling better during the day. But now the pain is back. Can I take another Azithral 500 along with the pain killer. That will make it a total of 1000 mg of Azithral in one single day. Please advice.
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 12 minutes later
Brief Answer: Use Tantum/Hexidine oral rinses Detailed Answer: Hi, The routine dose of Azithral is 500mg once daily and if you take two tablets it will not do any harm but is unlikely to get benefit also as antibiotic take time to act and are not to give symptomatic relief immediately. Please take you second dose of painkiller. A better option is to use Tantum oral rinse (This is available with out prescription in India) locally along with your oral medicines. Dilute it with equal amount of water and do gargle for 2 minutes and then throw that away. This will reduce the local load of infection as well as give immediate pain relief. You can repeat it as frequently as you like. Hexidine gargles can also be used but local anaesthetic effect will not be there. Meanwhile the Azithral will start its effect and the problem will be solved. Regards,