Pregnant. Is it safe to use fetal doppler to check heart beat?

Hello doc,

My wife is around 10 weeks pregnant. We want to check heart beat at Home. We heard about fetal doppler. is it safe to use at home.

Posted Tue, 28 May 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
At 10 weeks of pregnancy, the best way to detect a heart beat is by an ultrasound scan.
The fetal doppler is a safe mode to check the heart beat but it will not detect the fetal heart beat till 17-18 weeks of gestation.
You can use fetal doppler at home after 18 weeks to detect the fetal heart rate.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.