Post-laparotomy. Complaining of bloating pain. Is it due to high sodium or spicy meal?

My wife is 7 days post-laparotomy. She has been fine (no painkillers) until today, when she started to complain about bloating pain much worse than the first six days. She is asking if that might be because she ate a high sodium, spicy meal. Basically she was expecting a linear healing curve and is wondering why she has a setback on day 7.
Posted Sat, 12 Oct 2013 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Timothy Raichle 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Hello, I would be happy to help you!

Detailed Answer:
It is not typical to experience a setback on day #7 postop from a laparotomy and hysterectomy. This could be a sign of a complication. Her symptoms are bloating and pain. While this could simply represent constipation, unless this has been a problem before now, it would be unusual to be a new problem, especially if she is no longer on pain medication or narcotics. She should call her OB/GYN right now and ask about her symptoms. If they will not see her, then she should be seen in an ER type setting.

I hope that this helps!