Ask a Urologist   »  

Pimple on the lower shaft of penis. Why is it getting worse?

I've had this pimple like thing on the lower shaft of my penis for some time now and it hasnt gone away, and now it kinda looks worse. theres a picture with the currents state of it.
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Shainaz Arif Kaware 38 minutes later

The pimple like thing seen in the picture is called Furunculosis or in simple form it is a boil or infected cyst. It is a bacterial infection commonly caused by micro-organism called Staph aureus and is due to infection of the hair follicle.

If it is not painful at present, then you can just apply a antibiotic ointment over the surface after cleaning with soap and water. But if it is painful then you may need oral antibiotics which you will have to get it prescribed from your family doctor.

Maintain good hygiene, when possible try to trim the pubic hairs, as it will help prevent the recurrence or spread of infection close by. If problem is increasing see a doctor personally.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.