Persistent pain in lower right back. Could it be a back injury or strain? Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
Hi I have had a pain in my lower right backside since morning. its quite persistent and I think it is related to some training I did last night. I dance and I was training for a move where I bent forwards with knees bent to hold the entire weight of my dance partner (about 60kg) between my legs and then lifted her up. Possibly I strained my back while doing so. what can I do to ease the pain, and what are the signs of a back injury, as opposed to just a strain?
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 2 hours later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a back sprain. To differentiate it from a back injury, a detailed clinical examination and investigations like MRI are imperative.
The main treatment of such pain is bed rest along with pain killers and muscle relaxants. Muscle relaxants can help with your symptoms if used in appropriate dosage in combination with a potent analgesic.
You can get the appropriate drugs prescribed from your Orthopedician after examination.
Meanwhile you can follow these measures:
- If the pain is severe, you need bed rest till the pain resolves.
- Get some analgesics prescribed and apply analgesic spray or ointments.
- While resting, keep a pillow under your knees if it doesn't bother you.
- Avoid lifting heavy objects.
- You can do a hot fomentation in the area for pain relief.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.