On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What is causing late periods?

its been 46days since my last pregnancy test results are negative,both urine and blood. i am a diabetic patient for the past 3yrs and i am on insulin. my sugar level, hemoglobin and thyroid tests are normal. what could be the possible reason for my late periods?i have been married for 5months.pls let me know the answer..
Posted Sun, 5 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 33 minutes later
welcome to health care magic.
When a woman's period takes longer than 35-36 days to come and she is not pregnant, she is said to have oligomeorrhea which just means either light periods or long time between periods.
If your pregnancy tests are definitely indicating that you are not pregnant then the other possible causes of delayed period can be checked for by your doctor. The other possible causes would include: (1) polycystic ovarian syndrome ( this is a common cause, women have irregular periods, difficulty conceiving, cysts on the ovaries and other symptoms such as acne and hair in "male' areas due to high levels of certain hormones). Blood test are done to rule out other conditions and doctors also request Ultrasound to check the ovaries.
(2) delayed periods can also occur if there are abnormal levels of other hormones such as prolactin ( may have other symptoms such as decreased sex drive, decrease pubic hair, infertility), androgens which male hormones that can be secreted in increased amount in some conditions.
(3) diabetes is also associated with abnormal periods and you stated that you have a history of diabetes
(4) Stress, inadequate eating habits and some medications such as steroids and other medication that may actually increase the prolactin level
Your doctor may take a history to check dietary intake, history of any possible contributing medication and assess for any other symptoms that would point in a specific direction. He or she may suggest doing additional blood tests to check the level of prolactin, androgens and radiological tests such as an ultrasound may be done if thought necessary.
I hope this information is helpful to you and you can contact if you need additional information
Follow-up: On insulin for diabetes. Missing periods. Pregnancy test negative. What is causing late periods? 1 hour later
is diabetes connected in becoming pregnant? will it be a problem for me to become pregnant? will my child be inherited with Diabetes?
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Hi, PCOS ( mentioned earlier) is associated with insulin resistance and elevated blood sugars and is the one of the most common causes of infertility however once diagnosed it is easily treated with weight loss if overwieght and medication if necessary and this usually results in conception.
Diabetes ,without the presence of PCOS, can be associated with reduced fertility but this complication is significantly reduced to minimal if the blood sugars are controlled.

In both Type one and Type 2 diabetes you inherit a predisposition to get the disease then something in your enviroment may actually to disease to show up. There are identical twins where one gets the disease but the other does not.
So your baby may have a risk of diabetes but never get it.
Type 2 has a stronger association with family inheritance than type 1.

I hope this answers your question.