Not active sexually. What is the reason for missed period?

Apr 2013

General Surgeon
my 12 year old daughter has missed 3 periods. she is not pregnant or sexually active, what could this mean?......please help!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted Sat, 23 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 34 minutes later

First, you need to know that this is absolutely nothing to worry about. For such young girls this is normal.
At the start of puberty and after first menstruation periods are usually irregular, even for more then 3 months. Her hormone levels needs few more years to become constant so you can expect irregular periods during this time.

Of course sometimes there is a particular cause, most common are stress, eating disorders and excessive exercise. Less common are secondary amenorrhea, ovarian or uterine disorders or hormonal imbalance and these must be evaluated and treated.

So doctors suggest that if missed period persists 6-8 months (3 more in your daughter's case) then you should visit gynecologist. Till that, dont worry and explain it to your daughter. If some other symptoms such as abdominal pain, fever, heavy menstrual bleeding or fatigue occur then go to hospital as soon as you can.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any further questions I will be happy to help.
Follow-up: Not active sexually. What is the reason for missed period? 17 hours later
Thank you very much Dr. Romic!!!! I feel so much better, have a blessed day.
Answered by Dr. Ivan R. Rommstein 2 hours later
I am glad that I can be helpful and I hope that you are less worried now. If you do not have any clarifications, you can close the discussion and rate the answer. Wish you good health.