Neck pain like a sprain. Treatment?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My mother in law has some pain in the side of the neck something like a sprain from last night. Can you please advice some treatment for her. She is 66 yrs old
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 hours later

Suuden pain in the side of the neck with no other associated symptoms is likely to be due to a muscle sprain due to abnormal neck position. Such minor sprains usually are relieved on taking mild analgesics like acetaminophen and ibuprofen after the meals.

In case the stiffness is persistent then she will have to consult an orthopedician for muscle relaxants like Thiocolchicoside.

- avoid using a pillow.
- Use of cervical collar helps in immobilisation and brings relief.
- Medical drugs like pain killers - acetaminophen/ibuprofen and muscle relaxants will be helpful.
- Hot fomentation helps in relieving acute symptoms. She can apply a local analgesic gel after hot fomentation.

As she tries these measures, I also encourage her to consult an orthopedician for both evaluation and to avail stronger prescription medications (if over the counter medications are not helpful).

I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Wish you good health.

Dr. Praveen Tayal