Muscular and joint pain, diagnosed as fibromyalgia but it is only on one side. What could this be?

I have neurological pain on the right side of my body plus muscular and joint pain. Diagnosis is Fibromyalgia but it is only on one side. What could this be?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later
I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     59 year old female
•     Known case of Depression, Chronic fatigue, Fibromyalgia, Hypertension and High cholesterol
•     Complain of: pain on the right side of body with muscular and joint pain
•     Concern related to diagnosis of problem

following causes are possible for your discomfort:
•     Neurological: Nerve compression
•     Orthopedic: Osteoarthritis
•     Fibromyalgia
•     Depression itself
•     Combination of above problems: strong possibility

So for final diagnosis you need to to get physically examined and investigated (imaging studies).

Before any treatment further it is better to seek consultation, first from psychiatrist, so that your depression/Fibromyalgia related symptoms and exacerbation of other symptoms because of depression will stop occurring, irrespective of diagnosis.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.