Met with accident. Noticed black eye, swollen face, feeling confused and tired. What are the complications?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
my daughter was in a minor car accident on saturday. she did not go to the emergency. she was confused and very tired and slept off and on for three day. the day after the accident she had a black eye, hercheek was brused and her face was swollen for two days. the day of the accident she was sore and her neck hurt, which she still hurts but its better. does this mean she may have a bad head injury?
Posted Wed, 28 Nov 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 57 minutes later
The presence of a black eye, neck stiffness and sleepiness for three days are worrisome symptoms.
This problem needs a medical attention and investigations like CT scan and MRI are entailed. I encourage you to consult a physician or a neurologist who can guide you through the tests. You can also attend to an ER for early diagnosis and treatment.
You can also self monitor her for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
Meanwhile she can do a hot compress in the area of injury and on the eye and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.

I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.