Menstrual cycle is irregular. Should I opt for caesarean if no pain?

Mar 2016

Hi, MY LMP : was on 1st XXXXXXX 2013 and my menstral cycle is irregular from 45-50 days duration. Hence my scanning date have come up around 28th Oct 2013. So until when can I wait for pains.. and also is it that after 18th October I should opt for ceserian if i dont get pains?
Posted Sun, 3 Nov 2013 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. S Patra 20 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for writing to us. Followings are my comments:

1) As you had cycle of 45-50 days duration, you probably ovulated around 1st to 6th February as per Last Menstrual Period date (LMP). Your EDD could be in between 25th to 30th October and if you have earlier ultrasound scan, then it will be better to estimate your gestational age and fetal maturity.

On the basis of calculated EDD, you have gotten scanning date around 28th October and it will be helpful to determine fetal maturity, liquor volume and overall progression. Most pregnant women's labor pain starts after 37th weeks and it varies from women to women. In your case, it is very much expected after 18th October as still now pain does not start and may extend up to 6th November, depending on the progression of pregnancy.

2) Mode of delivery either Caesarean Section or vaginal delivery can be decided through pelvic assessment by your obstetrician and progress of labor.

If you want elective C-section, then it can be done any time after 18th October and you must consult with your obstetrician regarding this.

Otherwise, you can wait up to 6th November until your labor pain starts properly and it will be decided after getting ultrasound scan report. Close monitoring of fetal well being is must needed. If you don't get labor pain even after 6th Nov, then C-section is the ideal choice.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. Let me know if you need any clarification.

Wish your good health and successful motherhood.

Dr Soumen

For future query, you can directly approach me through
Follow-up: Menstrual cycle is irregular. Should I opt for caesarean if no pain? 29 hours later
Many Thanks for the reply.

1. My earliest Ultrasound scan which was done in march gave the EDD as 28 October 2013.
Im getting false labour during night time which stays for sometime and stops.
2.The latest scanning which was done on 16th Sept 2013 has the following information.
Single live Fetus is seen ceptahe presentation.
Placenta is Postany grade 2
Amniotic Fluid is adequate at this stage.
Fetal Heart Rate is 144 beats\mins.
BPD measures 86 mm
AC measures 286 mm
FL measures 66mm
EDD by USG : 30-10-2013
Average Gestational Age: 33 weeks 5 days
OS closed..
2. Today that is on 18th October I had a check up. It seems that my baby head has not moved down yet.
Hence I have been advised to wait for 3 days (until Monday 21st October)else go for ceserian.
But since My scanning date has 28th October I want to wait until then.
Can you please suggest me further on this, as Im little worried.
Answered by Dr. S Patra 4 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

1) From your earlier and recent ultrasound scan report, I can assume that your EDD is between 28th to 30th October. False labor pain is common at this stage. True labor pain is usually strong, consistent, regular and rhythmic in nature and you may get this type of pain or contraction within few days.

2) If you want planned or elective C-section, then it can be done any time after 18th October as I had mentioned earlier. It does not depend whether labor pain starts or not but it depends on fetal maturity. Last scan report is quite good.

3) If you want to wait for scanning date (28th Oct) or wish to go for vaginal delivery, then you must consult with your obstetrician who can decide the mode of delivery after overall pelvic assessment and fetal well being.

Lastly, I suggest you not to worry unnecessarily and follow your doctor's advice for safe delivery of your baby.

Hope, I have guided you properly. If you don't have any other query, you can close the discussion.

All the best. Good luck.

Dr Soumen