MS, MRSA, jaundice, night sweats, swollen legs, history of cancer, mastectomy, hysterectomy.

I am trying to help a friend... His wife is very ill. She has MS, MRSA, jaundice, night sweats, swollen legs and abdominal. Gallbladder removed, history of cancer, mastectomy, hysterectomy.
A recent liver test only showed elevated alkaline levels.
Colonoscopy was attempted two weeks ago, only 50 percent was seen, but what could be seen was clear. Prep for proceedure did not begin to work for the first 15 hours!!! Which is why Doctor could only see 50 percent of colon.
She developed non- cancerous rumors below where her breasts used to be, and contracted MRSA while hospitalized for that proceedure (about 2 mos ago)
Wait till you read the list of meds she is on!
Effexor 150, 1 X day
Mirapex 1 mg, 4-6 X day
Neuronin 100 mg, 4-6 X day
Butorphanol 10 mg, nasal spray, 4 x day
Fentanyl transdermal patch 10 mcg, every 48 hours
Oxycodone 10 mg 325, 6 x day

Sores popping up all over, I believe due to The MRSA... Which nobody wants to treat. Night sweats, leg swelling now swelling up to abdominal area... This woman is very ill and wonder if she is over medicated. She can't sleep much due to pain, but when she does, husband has recently noticed shallow breathing... He doesn't even see her chest move as she breaths!
Her surgery was done at Stephens County Hospital in Toccoa, Ga which is where she got the MRSA.
Her surgeon refuses to see her, he says he does not do follow ups!
She does not have a regular Doctor because she got a derogatory report in her health profile in the health network in her area... Something to do with Effexor showing up in some good test the showed PCP in her system... I know she didn't use that.
The woman is a mess! I don't Know if she is over medicated, if she is dying... If so, from what and her being on disability sure doesn't help!

Here is one more situation. The husband tested positive for MRSA, he caught from his wife. Her Husband works for me in my private auto body shop and one day he went to the shop (next door to his house). He went in the shop and touched things, just wandering around in there I guess feeling frustrated with his situation due to his wife's illness and ... Well, I have closed the shop down because I don't know what to do about the MRSA! I have read the CDC site, called them etc... The shop has been closed down for 2 months, I was hoping after 3 months the MRSA might be dead, but who know? And even though the husband was treated with antibiotics... I think the MRSA is back because, yesterday he mentioned some sores popping up on his legs... He has no insurance... What a mess!
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Multiple Sclerosis
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 2 hours later
Thanks for the details and I appreciate your gesture for your friend.

As you have rightly said problems for her are too many and of different sorts. This is resulting in her being on so many medications. The pain must be very severe, since it is persisting in spite of so many medications. I don't really feel that her condition is because of over medication.

The shallow breathing may of course be because of the opioid pain killers that she is on.

Regarding MRSA, it is highly unlikely to be present in the environment after 2 months and even more unlikely to infect others even if it is present. So that should not be a worry.

Husband needs to get tested for the sores on his legs and take treatment.

If there is anything more that you want to know I would be happy to answer.

Good luck.
Follow-up: MS, MRSA, jaundice, night sweats, swollen legs, history of cancer, mastectomy, hysterectomy. 2 hours later
Do you, or any of you colleagues have any idea what is wrong with her? Is this lime disease that looks like MS? Is this to do with the MRSA? What about the elevated alkaline that was discovered from her liver profile?

I realise that you cannot see her, but nobody will treat her either! She is turned away from the emergency room and Doctors refuse to see her... Please give this more thought... She goes to a pain clinic in Athens, Ga. The Doctor there agrees that there must be some underlying factor and that she needs to see her regular Doctor... Which brings us back to her not able to be seen. What a vicious circle!

Thank you for your time and consideration
Answered by Dr. Piyush Ostwal 9 hours later

You have already listed all the things that are wrong with her.

As I told earlier, it is not one thing that can be pointed out from this description. Multiple disease conditions are present in her simultaneously. It is not possible to tell MS from Lyme disease by just the description; however, the two diseases are very different and only rarely pose difficulty in diagnosis.

Elevated alkaline phosphatase is an indicator that her liver is not functioning properly. It may be a part of jaundice, which she had earlier.

I am not able to understand why she is being refused from hospitals, but she definitely needs a thorough check up and care.

Good luck.