Loss of memory, nausea, unable to follow road signs, ear pain. On thyroid medication. Blood tests normal. Causes for memory loss?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I have had episodes of totally forgetting that I filled a script and had no recollection of it and it came back to me in chunks. (the next day) I also forgot people's names I work with and it came back to me a bit later. (10 minutes) I suddenly started having my right nostril just leaking water from time to time and I noticed that my eye jumps lines when reading or ignoring the top line when reading the words in a three line passage., particularly when changing lines. I could not follow road directions for more than 2 steps the other day. Slight nausea and occassional ear ache and dizziness, like for virtigo. Always had tinitus from time to time, can remember the buzzing as a child. I had none of these symptoms before. I had my thyroid removed and is on meds, but a blood test last week confirmed that all levels are within normal range. The absolute blankness in my mind, and no recollection worries me.
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 24 minutes later

Your symptoms are suggestive of short term amnesia. The commonest cause of this condition at your age is low blood glucose levels either due to prolonged starvation, dieting, irregular eating habits or diabetes. These causes should be ruled out first of all.

The second most common cause is depression and anxiety. These can cause a kind of “brain fog” that makes it difficult to concentrate and pay attention to things. As a result, it is harder for depressed or anxious people to store information in short term memory.
You can do meditation, yoga and XXXXXXX breathing exercises to decrease the problem.

The third possible reason is Alzheimer’s disease and senile dementia which is common among XXXXXXX citizens. However, given your age, it is unlikely that you are suffering from this problem.

Other causes include head trauma, brain injury and brain tumours, alcohol and drug abuse which can damage or destroy brain cells, affecting a person’s ability to remember things.

Please visit your neurophysician to undergo physical check up and also to undergo relevant investigations required in your case for proper diagnosis.

Meanwhile try to keep your mind busy with reading, crosswords, search a word and by playing Scrabble.

I hope this answers your query effectively.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
Follow-up: Loss of memory, nausea, unable to follow road signs, ear pain. On thyroid medication. Blood tests normal. Causes for memory loss? 39 minutes later

Thanks for the reply. Do you think the running nostril is related to the memory loss at all? Is there a link between my eyes suddenly not following lines when reading and the nose, with the memory loss or are they all unrelated?

Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 1 hour later

Thanks for writing again.

The problem of your eyes not following lines is related to short term amnesia as you probably forget what were you reading.

The running nostril without any nasal congestion needs to be examined by an ENT specialist to find out the cause.

I hope you find my answer is helpful.