Is it normal to have no KOH, trich and clue cells in the report?

Mar 2014
My pap just came back with the following: KOH:No Fungal Elements seen Saline:No Yeast seen No Trich seen No Clue cells seen No WBCs seen No RBCs seen Rare EPIs seen 1+ of bacteria seen Is that normal
Posted Tue, 11 Mar 2014 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Madhuri N Bagde 1 hour later
Brief Answer: No major abnormality except bacteria Detailed Answer: Hi XXXX and thanks for the query. I have read the report of the smear. However the current guidelines follow the Bethesda system of reporting. This report is a bit different. Let me explain the individual terms: 1. KOH: it is done to test the presence of fungi in the vagina. Your smear did not detect any so it is good and normal. Absence of yeast is good as the commonest is candida that causes moniliasis. So yours does not have it. This means that you are not having any fungal infection. No trich seen: It must be trichomonas vaginalis: This is a parasite that causes vaginitis. It is a good report that there is no trichomonas. No clue cells: They are present in infection with gardenella vaginalis. their absence is a good sign No WBC, RBC is also a good sign. Rare epi: Most likely epithelial cells: This does not indicate anything as such. 1+ bacteria: This is the only finding that puzzles me. Presence of bacteria indicate and infection. WBC are usually present if there is infection. Your smear says bacteria present and WBC absent which is contradictory. Another reason may be that the bacteria are normal vaginal bacteria [doderleins bacilli] that normally reside in the vagina and are important in maintaining vaginal health. You need to clarify this with the lab that provided the report. There is usually a finding mentioned at the end of pap smear reading as normal, ASCUS, AGUS, CIN I etc. Check to see if this has been reported. The main aim of the pap smear is to see for infection and for any abnormal cells that may suggest presence of underlying cancer. Unfortunately this report does not describe the second half that is abnormalities in cells. From the information provided in your question, the smear report is OK for most part except that it does not say which bacteria are increased and if they are other than the normal bacteria. Also it does not report the condition of cells if normal or abnormal. So please contact the lab that gave these results and clarify these issues. On prima facie there is nothing alarming in the report, so relax and talk with the lab people, they will surely help. Do let me know the final result or of there is anything else in the result already provided to you. I would be happy to help. Hope this satisfies your query. Thanks for using HCM. Feel free to ask any more questions that you may have. Dr Madhuri Bagde Consultant Obstetrician and Gynecologist