Ask a Urologist   »  

Inflamed urethra and discharge from penis after taking metronidazole. Any advice?

Hi I was prescribed metronidazole about 5months ago, and I noticed after taking it for accouple days I started to get a discharge out of my penis and my urethra seemed to be inflamed. Its been 5 months now and I still get the inflamed urethra feeling that comes and goes in waves. I am no longer getting the discharge though. Any advise???
Posted Sun, 7 Apr 2013 in Penis Problems
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 1 hour later
Hi there, thanks for asking. Metronidazole can treat some of the infections of the urinary system, if it taken enough every day for a period of time. If it is taken for a shorter period than needed, a chronic infection will remain for a long time.
Metronidazole, by itself does not induce inflammation. The best way to see what could be responsible for this probably infection (infections are accompanied with inflammation as well) is to see your doctor and ask about urine analysis and/or urine culture.
Sometimes chronic kidney infections may show themselves in this way. It may have happened coincidentaly by taking this medication (but not as a result of that as well).
Let me know if you have any question. I wish you a good health.
Follow-up: Inflamed urethra and discharge from penis after taking metronidazole. Any advice? 24 hours later
I have had a urinary analysis that checked for possible clamidia and gonnoria and both have come bath negative. any advise?
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 16 minutes later
Hi there, thanks for asking. If there is no discharge, it could be related to some inflammatory problems that may happen like spondylitis ankylosing or reiter syndrome. You may ask your doctor to see if it is reiter although I think most probably it is a benign issue. It is far to be related to metronidazole. Keep me updated about the situation.