Mild pain below left ribcage. Had steroid shot in neck. Have fibromyalgia. Shooting pain behind breast bone. Suggestions?

I have mild pain under the left side under my rib cage, the pain is moderate, its a dull stinging , I also have eccessive belching , I recently had a steroid shot in my neck, I also have fibromyalgia , sometime the pain shoots around to the front, like behind the breast bone. I am 47 yrs old, and I smoke about 1 pack a week
Asked On : Wed, 27 Feb 2013
hi and thanks for the query,
Pain behind the breast bone could either be of digestive, lung, heart , bone or problems with the trachea. Considering the belching and the history of steroids, this should be of digestive tract origin and is compatible with gastroesophagal reflux disease. It might be important to note any past history of upper abdominal pain reflux or gastritis in the past. Steroids impair gastric mucus secretion, lead to increased free gastric acid, with increased of burning sensation in both the stomach and the esophagus in the case of reflux. If the bone is tender, this could be a Reiters syndrome and could react on steroids.
I think gastrointestinal reflux disease be excluded formally, with an endoscopy/firboscopy. A chest x ray for a start could also be useful.
Thanks and kind regards.

Bain LE, MD.