Incomplete bowels, loss of apetite. Prescribed lactulose. Blood, urine and thyroid tests normal. How will the bowels normalise?

Question
Hi Doctors, I am in desperate need of your help. I am suffering from incomplete bowl movement since last one and half year. I never feel that relax feeling after going for motions. Since last two weeks, I fixed my lifestyle with getting up early, going Gym and sleeping early, having proper diets with bananas, milkshake, lot of water, Oats for fiber etc. But still I am not getting rid of this problem. Due to this, I am not feeling hungry and not able to eat much. And because of this not able to put on weight. I have visited 3-4 doctors in last one year and they all prescribed me lactulose solution for temporary relief but it worsen my condition. My all the blood, urine, thyroid tests were absolutely normal which I took just a month back.

Please, please let me know what can I do to get proper bowl movements only in the morning once like any other normal human being.

Thank you so much.

I can be reached @ +91-0000
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Constipation

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 42 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query. For constipation, some of the methods of treatment are:

1)      First of all increase the fiber amount in your diet. The best natural sources of fiber are fruits, vegetables, and whole grains. Eat a diet XXXXXXX in fiber, especially from fruits and vegetables and eat slowly and chew you food well. You may even add bulk forming agents like salads, bananas etc or psyllium husk to your diet.

2)     Exercise regularly such as the regular walking and knee-to-chest position which activates bowel movement.

3)     Drink plenty of fluids and water everyday.

4)     Decrease intake of alcohol, caffeine, tea and cola drinks

5)     Go to the toilet at the same time every day which helps in regularizing the bowel.

6)     Do not take any over the counter laxatives like Senna which can worsen the condition.

7)     If the symptoms persist then you may need osmotic laxatives like polyethylene glycol PEG or miralax after your doctor’s prescription.

If the symptoms persist then other causes of constipation need to be ruled out for which you need investigations like barium enema upper GI with small bowel series, CT scan abdomen, thyroid profile, motility and imaging studies and colonoscopy. For these you need to consult a gastroenterologist.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Incomplete bowels, loss of apetite. Prescribed lactulose. Blood, urine and thyroid tests normal. How will the bowels normalise? 1 hour later
Thank you Dr. I am doing most of the advised things but will do now all. I request you to please prescribe me a good syrup for better digestion and to increase hunger.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 19 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back to me.

First and foremost is to treat the constipation which can be done by using one of the laxatives like lactulose (Duphalac). Once the constipation better, hunger will improve itself. Please ensure that you take lots of fiber and water.

We don't usually recommend any syrup for hunger because of their adverse effects.

Hope this answers your query.