I am constantly gagging, having headache and short term memory. What is going on?

i am constantly gagging...i have had a couple of really bad headaches that seem to get worse when im coughing..lately i have been feeling like im not here...kind of a dream state and my memory is really short term what is going on with me?
Posted Sat, 11 Aug 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 6 hours later

Some people do get headache during bout of cough which is related to exertion and increase in intracranial pressure for short duration. As such no specific treatment is needed and you should have symptomatic treatment only.

Your other symptoms like dream state and failing memory is perhaps related to prolonged and repeated cough and to cough syrup remedy that you may be taking.

Present problem appears unrelated to the one seizure a year ago.

Please do write back for follow up queries that you may have.

Follow-up: I am constantly gagging, having headache and short term memory. What is going on? 11 hours later
im not taking any sort of cough medication....and the best way to describe how my memory is i almost feel like i constantly black out...i can kind of remember whats happening ...but it feels really distant
Answered by Dr. Pratap Sanchetee 13 hours later

Thanks for following up.

A severe bout of cough can produce reflux vasovagal response. This is associated with dizzy spell and feeling of black outs. Hence my suggestions to you are:

1. You should get a treatment for repeated bouts of cough with your physician
2. A good dose of vitamin can be given by your physician
3. Take adequate amount of rest and relaxation.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more enquiries.

All the best

Dr. Pratap