How to get rid of moving sensation in head and pressure in my head?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Nov 2013
Nov 2013
Excellent

Neurologist
Question
I am having dizziness and pressure in my head. Head feels like it is full of water and something moving inside. There is no pain and feels better when lying down. Head feels okay when I first get up but pressure builds up after being up for about two hours. Was given medicine for vertigo but do not have vertigo, so meclizine did not help. Been to ENT and everything is fine. Had a positive Lyme test but western blot was negative. So was given 14 days of doxycycline even though test negative. Had heart checked by cardiologist and all in fine. Have an appointment wit neurologist next week. The fullness and dizziness in the head seems to be getting worse. Again there is no pain. By the way MRI normal
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Brain and Spine

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer: My reply is below. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thank you for posting your query. I have noted your symptoms and treatment course till now. I am glad to note that your ENT examinations and MRI brain are normal. Normal MRI excludes most serious brain diseases that could cause these symptoms, such as tumours, infections and infarcts (blood clots). In your case, the possibilities include muscle tension (of scalp and neck muscles). Other possibility includes small vessel disease, which are small areas in the brain with reduced blood supply. If you can upload the MRI report, it would be useful. Also, neurological examination (clinical) would be helpful. I hope my answer helps. Please get back if you require any additional information. Wishing you good health, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology) XXXXXXX Consultant Neurologist Apollo Hospitals, Hyderabad, India Click on this link to ask me a DIRECT QUERY: http://bit.ly/Dr-Sudhir-kumar My BLOG: http://bestneurodoctor.blogspot.in

Follow-up: How to get rid of moving sensation in head and pressure in my head? 11 hours later
I do not know how to upload MRI. So I will write what it says: " Mild amount of scattered white matter T2 hyperintensitis similar to prior exam (2006 and April 2013). No acute infarct, mass, hemorrhage, or extracerebral fluid collection. No intraorbital lesion. Mild scattered paranasal sinus mucosal thickening present. Flow void is noted in the major proximal arteries. IMPRESSION: 1. no acute intracranial abnormality 2. Mild amount of scattered white matter T2 hypertensitis probably related to chronic microvascular degenerative changes. I have an appointment with a different neurologist on December 19, 2013. Also my TSH level is .422 and my heart rate stays at 60-65 the last 7 months and I have gained 11 lbs in the last two months. I would appreciate any advice you may have. Are you sure about the negative disease even though the western blot was negative. MRI Attached

Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: Hi, I have noted the MRI report, and also your other findings. The MRI brain report is suggestive of small vessel disease, which is due to reduced blood flow in several areas of brain (although very small in size). This can explain your symptoms. In this case, your symptoms would be similar to vascular headache (migraine). TSH and heart rate are normal. Please keep me informed about the follow up with the neurologist. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)

Follow-up: How to get rid of moving sensation in head and pressure in my head? 1 hour later
So what is the treatment or do I have this pressure in my head for the rest of my life?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir Kumar 7 hours later
Brief Answer: Thank you for getting back. Detailed Answer: There are good treatments available, such as beta blockers, topiramate, divalproex and amitriptyline. You would get better within less than a month. Best wishes, Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)