What cause and treatment for blood clots from nose and bumps in different parts of the body?

ENT Specialist
Question
Hi, my husband has been suffering from a blocked nose for a while now and when he blow for sometime, he would blow out clots of blood that would be blocking his nose before he can breath properly again. He has also some bumps on his ears, nose, lips, arms, chest and back. He said they do not hurt or bother him otherwise than being there. However, he gets severe pains in his hands and legs. He also lost a vast amount of weight and is tired all the time. He when to the doctors and they do not know what is going on for quite a few test they did, then i took him to another doctor that found that he had a high inflammation in his blood but he does not know what is causing it . Can you please help me?
Posted Mon, 20 Jan 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Please get an ENT examination done. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for the query. Your problem of blood clots coming from the nose and bumps in different parts of the body do not seem to be related. The causes of blood coming from the nose can be many and hypertension is the most common at you age. The cause of clotted blood which comes out on blowing and relieves obstruction can be excessive scabbing in the nose. This can be due to working in dry, dusty and heated environment or atrophic rhinitis or some skin conditions. An ENT examination will tell in detail about it. Severe pain in hands and legs as well as loosing of vast amount of weight can be a sign of granulomatous disease or a connective tissue disorder in which clotted blood can come out of the nose. Your doctor telling you that you have high inflammation in blood also point towards this as he must be having a raised ESR. Please see an ENT and get a proper nasal examination done including endoscopic examination to find out the cause of bleeding. Also ulcerative lesions can be present in the nose in granulomatous diseases. Also please get a complete blood count, peripheral blood film and ESR done and if ESR is markedly raised, see a rheumatologist also or a physician. Use of saline irrigation in nose and some lubricating ointment in nose helps. Feel free to ask another query. Regards

Follow-up: What cause and treatment for blood clots from nose and bumps in different parts of the body? 38 minutes later
What is a ESR?

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 24 minutes later
Brief Answer: erythrocyte sedimentation rate Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. ESR stands for erythrocyte sedimentation rate and is a blood investigation. Feel free to ask another query. Regards

Follow-up: What cause and treatment for blood clots from nose and bumps in different parts of the body? 2 hours later
my husband also suffers from repeated hoarseness. What can he use for that they said he has some nordles???? on his voice box how can they be removed not by surgery? I forget to add this one when I first gave his problems. Will surgery hamper his ability to sing or talk?

Answered by Dr. Prahlad Duggal 15 minutes later
Brief Answer: Voice rest, steam inhalation ans steroids Detailed Answer: Thanks for the query. Hoarseness is a common symptom because of nodules on the vocal cords. The treatment is voice rest, steam inhalation, a course of steroids and if permanent, surgery id the option. Microlaryngeal surgery is the surgery of choice. Before going for surgery, discus with your ENT about the changes in voice which may occur post excision of nodules depending upon the location and size. Usually there is not permanent change in singing or talking but for singers, need to discus with the operating surgeon in detail. Feel free to ask another query. Regards