How to avoid bad smell in the vagina?

My Vagina Smells. How to avoid it?
Posted Sat, 29 Sep 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 13 minutes later
4)     Hello,

There is a strong possibility of a vaginal infection or bacterial vaginosis which may be responsible for the vaginal odor.

I suggest you to follow up with your gynecologist as you need antimicrobials if there is any infection and these are available by prescription. Treatment of bacterial vaginosis is by metronidazole((Flagyl, MetroGel) and clindamycin. Till that time, follow these simple lifestyle measures:

1)      Avoid rough intercourse/ masturbation and use a water based lubricant during intercourse.

2)     Wear cotton underwear and avoid douching or using feminine products.

3)     Avoid using perfumed soaps and sanitary napkins, bubble baths and toiletries.

4)     Change underwear daily, wash underwear in hot water and double rinse (to remove any irritating detergent) and take adequate nutrition and sleep.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.