How is cough, cold and flu treated in children ?

Hi. My 3 yr has been suffering from cold, cough & flu and as precribed by her ped i have been giving her Sinarest Plus syrup. This morining she woke up complaining of a leg pain and refused to even walk. I gave her Imol syrup. Cud this lead to any side effects? I am worried. She is also passing loose motions...
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 15 minutes later

For cold, cough and flu you are rightly giving her Sinarest Plus syrup. One more thing you can do for early relief is to give her steam inhalation with eucalyptus oil in boiling water.

Loose motions are commonly associated with cough and cold in children and there is nothing to worry. These are usually viral in origin and are usually self limiting. Just take care that she is taking adequate amount of fluids and give her a light oil free easy to digest diet.

Occasional pain in the leg might be the result of weakness she is feeling due to the illness or there might be a mild inflammation of joints causing pain. Imol is a very good choice for such small pains in the legs or joints. It is a safe combination of analgesic and antiinflammatory drugs with minimal side effects.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. If there are additional concerns, I am available for your followups.