How can the bruised sternum and GERD be treated?

I was diagnosed with a bruised sternum in an auto accident 8 or 9 days ago. The pain is terrible. I have a cold and just to breathe thru my nose just exacerbates it. I have GERD and just taking 500mg of Tylenol (2 of them 2-3 times a day). I was given a prescription for Vicodin but afraid to take it as I have read about addictions to it. Am I worried for nothing? How long will it be before I get better. I went to an exercise class and Zumba lesson and that may be how I got worse. Help, please ... I am 66 years old
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Sunil.N 45 minutes later
Hi ,

Since the chest movements during breathing causes movement in the Sternum producing bone pain. As you are suffering with GERD, Tylenol is not considered to be a suitable drug.

It would be better to start Vicodin as prescribed by your doctor, and do not worry about the risk of addiction as the probability is low in short duration courses. It might take around 2-3 weeks to get better.

Avoid exercise and zumba classes as the exercises increases the respiratory rate, which will lead to faster breathing and interfere in healing of the injury. You need to take rest till your cold is completely relieved.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.