Hit head while falling. Recurring headache, no vomiting, slight memory loss, imbalance at intervals. X-ray needed?

I fell and hit my head. No bleeding just discomport and now a headache everyday. The area is Right (almost cap) and has gone away in 3 weeks. I can't sleep on this side of my body due to the pressure. No vomiting, eyes are equal and reactive. Slight memory loss (simple words.) Balance is off at intervals. This trauma happened 3 weeks ago and the bump remains and the headache is a swift swirl when I get out of the bed. Should I have an X Ray? Will see my Doc. tomorrow. I am a nurse clinician and dont want to do much testing. Age 65...Female
Posted Sun, 6 May 2012 in Brain and Spine
Follow-up: Hit head while falling. Recurring headache, no vomiting, slight memory loss, imbalance at intervals. X-ray needed? 12 minutes later
The area is R (almost cap) and has NOT gone away in three weeks.

(this is an addenum to the query)
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 4 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Important aspects of your query are:
•     65 year old female
•     Known case of Hemachromatosis, agoraphobia, depression and hypertension.
•     Complaints of: headache, memory loss and dizziness after head trauma 3 weeks back.
•     Currently on: dilitizam, atenalol, Zanax XR, Prozac, Lorazapan, Zanax

Considering your age of 65 years, head trauma and above symptoms you may need evaluation especially with investigation like x-ray skull and CT scan to rule out skull fracture and subdural hematoma.

Chances of subdural hematoma increases with advance age and in old age (>60 year) even a minor head injury can lead to subdural hematoma. Localized symptom like headache and tenderness at site of injury will require evaluation. Memory loss and dizziness may be due to subdural hematoma.

Apart from that, other possibilities in your case:
•     Memory loss can occur in depression
•     Dizziness may be due to use of multiple Benzodiazepines like alprazolam (Zanax and zanax xr) and Lorazepam. Monitor your BP to rule out low blood pressure.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups. Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wish you good health.