Hip pain, CT scan normal, painful lymph nodes, labia swelling, inability to walk, low HCV. Any idea?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My daughter is 25 yo. 3 wks ago she had left side hip pain that radiated down her inner thigh and into her groin. An CT Scan revealed nothing. WIth in a wk of that, the pain went to the right side as well with additional symptoms of painful lymph nodes in her groin, sacroiliac pain, bilateral labia swelling and inabiltity to walk due to pain. A CT scan with contrast was taken during an ER visit for above. The radioloigist noted bilateral adenopathy in the obturator chains of the pelvis. She is running a fever 99.4 to 101.4, but she is taking ibuprofen so it's hard to tell how high the fever is.
CBC was normal except for elevated platelets (503) and slightly lowered HCV. Her urine was normal.
Do you have any idea what is causing her pain and symptoms?
Posted Wed, 3 Oct 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 8 hours later
A pain in the hip with painful lymph nodes and fever are suggestive of an infection in the area. It could be due to an infected arthritis.
A physical examination can help in detecting the source of infection. Investigations like MRI scan and FNAC of the lymph nodes will be helpful. Most of the times such infection can be chronic like tubercular arthritis. Broad spectrum antibiotics are needed for the treatment.
I encourage you to consult an orthopedician for necessary investigations so that appropriate treatment can be started soon.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.