High resting beat, feeling faint, have cold sweats, body flare up. What could be causing this? Flu?

Cardiologist, Interventional
I am a 44 y/o female, I have always had a high resting heart beat. I am feeling somewhat faint, having cold sweats and just checked my BP with the following results. 109/58, 126 BPM heartbeat. I am having a all-body pain flare up and just feel lousy all around, with nausea, my head hurts and my ears are inflamed.

What could be causing this? I have had the flu for the past week.
Posted Sat, 5 May 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 55 minutes later

If you are having high heart beat for longtime and it’s been worked out and found to have no cause or disease causing this, it may be OK to leave it alone.
Now coming back to your present situation, the entire problem appears to be related to your “febrile illness or flu”.

You need to keep taking plenty of liquid (non alcoholic) and some antiinflamatory medicines. Over the counter Ibuprofen 400mg twice a day taken after food for 2-3 days might help. If symptoms are severe, I suggest you to consult your physician who can help you with better prescription medications. Good rest is also important at this point.

If your doctors haven’t worked up for high heart rate earlier then you need ECG, Echo cardiogram and thyroid to be done as the first set of tests. Further evaluation is then entailed depending upon the results of these tests.

Hope that solves your issues. Please accept my answer if you do not have any other medical queries.

Wish you speedy recover.

Follow-up: High resting beat, feeling faint, have cold sweats, body flare up. What could be causing this? Flu? 46 minutes later
Thank you Dr. Koregol,

My only concern is the disparity between my low BP and my high Heart Rate. I should let you know that I have also been diagnosed with Hashimoto's deseace.. bottom line, I am a thyroid mess :).

Thank you so much for your quick answer.
Answered by Dr. Prabhakar C Koregol 13 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thank you for writing back.

That is not a concern. In-fact when BP gets low heart beat does increase and that natural and protective. However your BP can not be described as low, though your pulse is definitely high.

If your thyroid is still hyper-functioning and that's the reason for tachycardia, you need treatment. Please get your thyroid function rechecked.

Thanks for appreciation.