Head injury, swelling, lack of sleep, mood disorder, post concussion syndrome. Oleanz RT the right treatment ?

Is Oleanz RT a medicine for treating Post Concussion syndrome?
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in Head Injuries
Follow-up: Head injury, swelling, lack of sleep, mood disorder, post concussion syndrome. Oleanz RT the right treatment ? 55 minutes later
My wife had a hit by the car trunk, on her back side of head, as the trunk dropped while she was collecting things from it. She had a swelling on the hit region. The next day while we both were walking outside in the evening, she got dizzy and leaned over me and went down on the floor (but did not go unconcious). I called paramedics and they came and a doctor took a first aid check and cleared her saying dehydration (but we didn't mention to the doctor about the hit on her head by the car trunk as we didn't think about that).
In the coming months, she started having continous running thoughts in her mind and could not sleep properly (having bad dreams). This was affecting her daily normal works at home as she was becoming very involved/believing the continuous running thoughts and dreams at night. I took her into a phychiatric consultation (Even now we never thought about the hit on her head) and the doctor has precribed Oleanz RT 10mg medicine and mentioned the condition as mood disorder. After then I did some research on the internet and came across post concussion syndrome and suspected this condition. We did a CT scan (after 6 months of the incident) and it says no concussion. I hear that the post concussion syndrome is not detectable by CT scans.
Taking Oleanz RT 10mg, she gets good sleep and her running thoughts in mind has dimnished. If post concussion syndrome is the one causing this change, please let me know if Oleanz RT is right for her condition. Thank you in advance.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 8 hours later

Important points in your query:

-History of head injury.
-Some psychological symptoms in form of running thougts
-Diagnosis of mood disorder by qualified psychiatrist
-Improvement with oleanz 10mg

You mention about the history of head injury but it does not appear significant to cause brain damage because of following reasons:
no loss of consciousness due to head injury,
normal CT scan presently,
Presence of only psychological symptoms but no neurological symptoms in current situation.

Our head is covered by thick layer of skin called scalp and beneath that there is skull bone. So our brain remain safe till the impact is very severe. Swelling in head after injury occur in scalp reason due to damage to local blood vessels and it subside after few days with or with out treatment.

Apart from that this head injury incidence can act as a stressor for your wife and can bring latent psychological problem in clinical picture.

In the last even if symptoms because of concussion, oleanz can be used for that.

Hope this will help you,

Wishing you and your wife a good health.

I will be available for your follow up queries if any.