Head injured behind the temple. Led to a surge of pain, dizziness. Need to be concerned?

Just hit my head while closing my car door. Corner of door hit behind temple just above my left ear. Did not seem like I hit it that hard, but got a surge of sharp pain in my temple that continued on and off for about 10 minutes and has now become a dull ache. I feel a little dizzy possibly a little queasy (nothing too severe). Do I need to be concerned?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Head Injuries
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 8 hours later
From your description it seems that you have suffered a minor head injury.
An impact on one side of head causes a injury to the cerebrum when it hits the hard skull. This has given rise to the symptoms of dull ache that you are having.
If you can consult a physician easily then it is best to get yourself examined for any neurological deficits. You can also self monitor yourself for any deterioration in the symptoms like unconsciousness, severe headache, blurred vision, bleeding from eyes, nose or ears, vomiting, etc in which case you need to rush to ER immediately.
Meanwhile you can do a cold compress in the area of injury and take a mild pain killer like acetaminophen or ibuprofen for relief.

Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.