Having regular periods. Only had light spotting for a day this time. Taking allergy medicine. Should I be concerned?

Mar 2016

normally my menstrual cycle is 5 days. This month it came on schdeule but only had what seemed to be light spotting for a day. I'm on a new allergy medicine and I am not pregnant. Is this normal?
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Anti-allergic drugs can cause irregular spotting.

Detailed Answer:

Kindly, mention the anti-allergy medicine name to give you a better opinion. If your previous cycle was quite regular, then one day spotting may be associated with the effect of above medicine if pregnancy is ruled out.

Other reasons are stress or anxiety, hormonal imbalance (low progesterone level), pelvic infection, weight gain, irregular diet pattern, functional ovarian cyst etc.

Here, you need to consult with gynecologist to proceed overall examination and some investigation like ultrasound scan, hormone assay etc to rule out underlying cause if any.

Do the following things:

1) Take balanced diet with more green vegetables and drink more water.
2) Change the drug if it is the culprit after consultation with your doctor.
3) Avoid mental stress/ anxiety by regular mediation or breathing exercise (15-20 min).
4) Control body weight and take sound sleep. Maintain genital hygiene properly.

Hope, above information is quite helpful to you. If you need any clarification, you can freely ask me.

Wish your good health and take care yourself.

Dr Soumen
Follow-up: Having regular periods. Only had light spotting for a day this time. Taking allergy medicine. Should I be concerned? 4 minutes later
wow, thanks so much. I'm currently taking Zrytec 10mg daily to combat a recent allergic reaction. Should I go to the doctor ASAP or see if this happen next month too?
Answered by Dr. S Patra 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Yes, you can consult with your doctor.

Detailed Answer:

Thanks for follow up query.

Zyrtec contains cetirizine as ingredient and this class of anti-allergic drug usually does not interfere with menstrual cycle. It is devoid of effect on hormones.

In this context, we need to find out other reasons as mentioned earlier by doing relevant investigation after consultation with gynecologist.

If you are not sexually active or rule out pregnancy, then you can wait for next month to see whether this type of problem recur or not. Otherwise, you need a doctor consultation.

Till then, you would maintain a healthy life style by above said measures.

Good luck. All the best.

Dr Soumen