Having reddish small pimples in pubic region. Feeling itchy. Noticed dark blood. Remedy?

hi doc, a small, reddish pimple like bump I noticed today in the shower in my public region. not close to the genitals really... I finally decided to scratch it and a fairly (for such a small bump) large amount of very dark blood emerged...

bit of info. the "head" came off rather easily, it appeared to be thin. I would say a hair follicle? there was no hair in that one particular spot however.
Posted Thu, 11 Jul 2013 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Kalpana Pathak 39 minutes later
From the description it seems you could be having infection of hair follicles and surrounding area known as furuncle or boil in simpler terms. It is an infection of a bacteria- staphylococcus aureus. Such lesions should not be manipulated as can lead to further infection or inflammation due to inoculation of more bacteria. Such lesions are common in pubic area due to constant friction from clothing, hair growth, sweat and trapped moisture etc.

To treat the same
Do warm water compresses over affected area
Apply fusidic acid or mupirocin cream twice in a day
Change your underclothes twice in a day
Wear loose cotton clothes
Use a sharp and clean razor blade to shave the area and direction of shaving should be according to direction of hair growth
If there is pain in the affected area, take analgesic like ibuprofen
If the lesion does nt heal in two to three days, take oral antibiotic.

Hope that answered your query.