Ask a Dentist   »  

Having nagging pain below the temple near the ear and diagnosed as Temporomandibular arthritis. How to get rid of pain?

I am having a nagging pain on the leftside straight below the temple near the ear , along the jaw. First the doctor diagonised as Temporomandibular arthritis and gave tablet for 5 days. Again visited the doctor as not much of relief. He prescribed mild antibiotics as I had some small mouth ulcer on the other side. However the nagging pain still there though it is not unbearable I feel some discomfort at times. When I press those area sometimes I get little flum in mouth and start making me ffel whether can it be a sort of sinus ? Because in my ear also sometimes i feel as if little water has gone in, though doctor said ear is clean and can see the ear drum.. Kindly seek your opinion and medication if any.
Posted Mon, 18 Nov 2013 in Dental Health
Answered by Dr. Anshumala Singh 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
could be impacted wisdom teeth.

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome.

As per the history posted here it appears that sometimes there could be impacted wisdom teeth in the upper jaw.which start causing abnormal pressure on adjacent teeth and hence pain and abscess.Did you get any relief from antibiotics that were prescribed to you?

Please mention have you got your wisdom teeth extracted anytime or did you take an x XXXXXXX to see its presence?

According to me, you must get it clinically evaluated once.If there is any radio graph taken then please mention about it.

The second possibility could be abnormalities related to your temporo mandibular joint.So did your dentist take an OPG X ray(oral pantograph) to see the condition of temporo mandibular joint?

Coming to your doubt about presence of sinus.This possibility is minimal.The reasons are
1.your ENT specialist has already examined the ear .
2.The location of lesion does not correlate with sinus.

Awaiting your response for better suggestions regarding the query.