Having heavy period with cramps. Any solution?

My period is barely coming and when it does I flood (BEYOND HEAVY) but I miss months and months of not having it and sometimes I cramp really bad and barely bleed at all. What should I do?
Posted Thu, 30 May 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 2 hours later
Not having any periods for many months followed by a heavy bleeding during periods is likely to be due to polycystic ovarian disease.
In this disease, there is a hormonal disturbance which causes ovarian troubles and hence menstrual disturbance, high chance of diabetes, gaining weight, infertility as well.

Your sister needs to get an Ultrasound of her ovaries and other pelvic organs. In PCOD there will be few or multiple follicular cysts seen. Also hormonal tests of FSH, LH, Estrogen, Progesterone, Androstenedione, Thyroid hormones will be needed.

Once confirmed as PCOD, the treatment is mainly medical treatment with Oral contraceptive pills for some time till the menstrual cycles become regular. But most important is exercising to lose weight and becoming fit. If exercise is not done then the hormonal imbalance will still be there. Proper diet consisting of low carbohydrates, low fat diet with plenty of fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables is also needed.
Drink plenty of water. Do daily brisk walking for 40 minutes. Avoid junk food, pastries, colas.
Kindly consult a leading Gynecologist and get yourself examined completely and also get the tests done as mentioned above. Once diagnosis is confirmed by ultrasound and hormones tests, the treatment can begin.
Hope this answers your query. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.