Having headache, weight gain, high bp. Is this cause for concern?

Dec 2012

I am 53 years old female have always had excellent blood my blood pressure was 152 over 92...heart rate 115.... i gained weight over the winter, and i have had headaches lately...what is happening?
Posted Tue, 14 May 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Nsah Bernard 5 hours later
Hello Fleming,

Thanks for posting your query,

I am pleased to be able to help answer your health problem.
Well given your presentation, it is possible that you have developed high blood pressure disorder (hypertension) and of course that needs to be confirmed through a series of blood pressure measures (and if values are persistently high then you have high BP). Now, hypertension could be essential (or primary) and secondary. Essential means it could be spontaneous without any known cause, while secondary means it may be as a result of another underlying diseases condition. Based on your presenting symptoms, the most likely will be thyroid disorder (notably hyperthyroidism) but will be important that your doctor rule's out kidney diseases (notably kidney tumor). This will imply simply that you need to consult a doctor as soon as you can for complete physical, laboratory and imagery exams so as to determine if there is an underlying cause.

Hope this helps and wish you the best.
Dr. Nsah