Having deteriorated discs and back joints are touching. Congenital heart failure and taking diuretic. Advise?

Question
my dad is almost 91 years old , and has numerous health problems. He has deteriated discs , so back joints are touching, as you might imagine he has to take pain meds. every 6 hours. healso according to his young V.A. Dr. has cong. heart failurue .he takes a diuretic. he also has macular degen. the problem he has aquired now is low blood pressure. can you recommend anything ? thanks concerned son.
Posted Sun, 20 Oct 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the answer below

Detailed Answer:

First, could you say how low your father's blood pressure is? If I had the readings of his blood pressure, would give a hand in better judgement.

Next, you are saying that your father is taking iron supplement as he might be suffering of anemia. Here is a factor contributing to low blood pressure.

In addition, he is taking furosemide as he suffers of heart failure. This could be another explanation. Therefore, I suggest to change furosemide with an other drug; in this case the opinion of his cardiologist is needed.

Hope it helped!

Follow-up: Having deteriorated discs and back joints are touching. Congenital heart failure and taking diuretic. Advise? 57 minutes later
top pressure is 88-- 90 bottom ishigh 40 -50's

Answered by Dr. Albana Sejdini 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Please follow the answer below

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for sending the BP details.

Your father's BP is really low. I suggest to talk immediately to his cardiologist to stop using furosemide.

You can also do a complete blood profile to check for anemia.

At the end, your father's body is not working as it used to work when he was young. This is the nature of human kind. You can discuss what I suggested earlier with his cardiologist.

Hope it helped! All the best to your father and family!