Having cough with yellow mucus, fever, common cold. Taken robitussin, aleve. Allergic bronchitis?

ENT Specialist
I am a 28 year old female, 4'10 and about 115 lbs. I started getting a cough 6 days ago which I thought was due to allergies and/ or left over from my last cold from a few weeks ago. I broke out with a fever about 4 days ago and the highest it ever was was 101.6. It has been coming back each night usually between 99.5 and 101.1 and my cough began to get worse about 2 days ago. I am fatigued from lack of sleep since I've coughing all night but I am coughing up clear and yellowish mucus ( not light or dark- no XXXXXXX or grey- no blood). I can breath pretty well and there is no to little sinus congestion. My chest and throat only hurt a little from coughing so hard sometimes to bring up mucus. My only other symptom is feeling a little achy at night usually. Since I continue to have a fever I just wanted to see if I need to see a doctor or it looks like its most likely just a cold and I 'll get better on my own. I have been using aleve past 3 days, vick cough drops and robitussin but the robitussin doesn't seem to help for very long . Thanks!
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Asthma and Allergy
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 6 hours later

Cough following an attack of flu is very common. It usually lasts for couple of weeks and gradually disappears without any medicine. But in your situation, there was fever during the weaning period with body ache, which suggests of "recurrence of infection" (probably allergic bronchitis).

You need to consult a good physician for a thorough examination of the chest and upper aero-digestive tract. You need to run through a battery of test such as blood tests and X rays. You may need mucolytics, bronchodilators and antibiotics to reduce the cough and control the infection.

Apart from this, try doing steam inhalation 2-3 times a day, drink plenty of warm water and avoid coffee, chilled food and beverages.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.